Re: Squid, PAM, & Solaris

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 14:26:10 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Snyder, Bob wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten Henrik's Squid PAM authentication program to work under
> > Solaris?

Haven't tried yet, sorry - but have a note for the following...

> > It works great under RedHat Linux, and I was hoping to be able to
> > use it under Solaris as well, since Solaris also uses PAM, but there are
> > inconsistencies between the Solaris version and the Linux version of PAM....
>
> I have not got the time to try building it on Solaris yet, but from what
> I could see by reading manual pages and include files it "should" work
> on Solaris 7. Earlier Solaris releases have varying degrees of PAM
> support. It may be possible to get it to run on 2.6 as well, but I am
> very sceptical to the PAM implementation in Solaris 2.5.1 and earlier.

PAM in Solaris 2.5.1 (and earlier) is "incomplete" as far as the latest specs
are concerned; essentially, count it as "no PAM support" because there's no
point wasting your time trying to get something non-existant to work.

Solaris 2.6 has PAM - but it's broken. There is a workaround, but you have to
code contrary to the specs.

Solaris 7 has PAM, and apparently it's fixed (about time, eh?).

Cheers..

dave