Re: squid rebuilds cache for three days

From: Pavel P. Zabortsev <ppz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:10:48 +0400

Hi Robin,

>So, you need to up maxusers in your kernel and rebuild. It may be
>possible to change this value "on-te-fly" but if it is, I don't know how
>to do it.

I've ALREADY increased maxusers to 512!
This is the maximum possible value ("config" say).

>Regarding the long cache rebuild time, I had a similar problem.
> Squid-2.2.STABLE2 on FreeBSD 3.x.
>
>I found that there were two issues involved:
>
>1. I wasn't shutting down the squid process cleanly so it needed to
>rebuild every time the machine was shutdown. This is a problem with
>FreeBSD since it has rather primitive init scripts compared to the
>SysV-style startup/shutdown scripts on Linux.

I know this.
But I've asked about WHY my FreeBSD box shutting down when "Out of mbuf
clusters - increase maxusers!" messages appear in /var/log/messages!
Where mbuf clusters disappear?

[...skip...]

>2. The solution to this problem is easy: put more RAM in the machine :o)

Thanx! ;-)
But I don't sure that increasing of RAM solves this problem...

>HTH,

Yours sincerely,
Pavel

Pavel P. Zabortsev e-mail: ppz@cdu.elektra.ru
Software engineer, Postmaster voice: 927-9523, 26-23 (corp)
CDO UPS of Russia fax: 220-6542
Moscow, Russia ICQ: 15371542