cache layout questions (& disaster recovery!)

From: Julian Richardson <JRichardson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:40:11 +0100

Hi all,

Our linux squid proxy's been running here quite happily for the last
week or so, so it's time to format the old MS proxy machine and migrate
squid over to that and give it some decent hardware in which to run...

The machine's got two 9GB SCSI disks in it. Now, I'd expect it's better
to put the core OS, swap, binaries etc on one disk and the cache on the
other for performance reasons. What about the logs though? Any idea if
it's better to have those on the OS disk or the cache disk, given that
they'll generate a disk access of their own fairly often?

What about cache layout? One big multi-GB cache directory, or several
smaller (say, 500MB) ones?? I'm also worried about disk errors here - if
I have several smaller cache directories and one becomes corrupt (for
whatever reason), can I simply delete the contents of that corrupt
directory, mirgrate the working directories onto a 'safe' disk and then
will squid figure out what's going on, or would I need to totally clear
out all of my cache directories (in which case I'm probably better
having one big cache directory anyway!) ??

Oh, I think there's an old 100MB or so SCSI disk going spare here at the
moment - yes it's slow, but would there be any benefit in using that for
my squid logs??

thanks for any help/ideas. This is squid 2.2.stable3, RedHat 5.2 (kernel
2.2.9), 256MB of memory on the machine, and there's probably never going
to be more than 120 clients accessing the proxy at any one time.

cheers

Jules