Re: cache layout questions (& disaster recovery!)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:49:40 +0000

Julian Richardson wrote:

> The machine's got two 9GB SCSI disks in it. Now, I'd expect it's better
> to put the core OS, swap, binaries etc on one disk and the cache on the
> other for performance reasons. What about the logs though? Any idea if
> it's better to have those on the OS disk or the cache disk, given that
> they'll generate a disk access of their own fairly often?

I would spread things evenly on both disk.

OS+binaries+configuration mirrored on both disks to ease recovery if one
disk should fail. Swap configured on both disks if needed
(non-mirrored).

The remaining space on each disk used for two separate (non-mirrored)
cache_dirs, one on each drive.

I am not sure what I would do with the logs.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker