Re: heuristic for server names

From: Joe Laffey <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 07:11:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Kendall Lister wrote:

> > However, if you tell Netscape to use a proxy server, it will let the
> > proxy server do DNS instead
>
> I see. My problem with getting Squid (or actually any program) to do this
> sort of thing is localisation. I might want "microsoft" to give me
> "www.microsoft.com.au", and someone in Japan might want
> "www.microsoft.com.jp". Perhaps a better solution would be a background
> program to run on the client machine that intercepts certain web requests
> and rewrites them, in a fashion similar to Getright or Alexa? This might
> make localisation (i.e. non-US-centricism) easier. Or even a plug-in for
> browsers?

Or, if this functionality were added to Squid there could be a setting in
the form of "www.*.com" or "www.*.com.au" that would add whatever the
sysadmin wanted to existing URLs. Sure this wouldn't get everything right
because there will be domain names that are different from this default.
It would however get many correct, which is more than it is doing now.

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging
St. Louis, MO
http://www.laffeycomputer.com/
Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]