Re: Performance question

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:32:18 -0600

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Andy Dills wrote:

> I checked some of the archives, but I didn't see any threads (I'm sure I
> missed them) regarding performance.
>
> Here is the setup I will have: ServerIron, PII450 512MB/Ram, 6 10,000 RPM
> 9 gig cheetahs, 3 2940 controllers (one for the system, three cache disks
> on each of the other two controllers). FreeBSD, with noatime.
>
> I have two questions:
> 1) Does anybody have an estimate of how many reqs/s I can serve well with
> this setup?

Your maximum request rate will depend mostly on how full you let the
disks become. If you use 90% of the filesystems, then you'll probably
be down in the 25/sec range. If you use much less, like 25%, then
you can take probably 50/sec.

> 2) About how many reqs/s would I be looking at if I have 5 mb/s of general
> ISP bandwidth?

5 Mb/s of HTTP traffic is about 50 requests per second.
If you have other traffic in the 5 Mb/s, then its probably
more like 30-40 req/sec.

> If I need to cluster, how many should I use? And how do I share the
> content among the cache servers?

Thats three questions :-)

Cache Digests is probably a good way to share.

Duane W.