Re: Performance question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:37:50 +0000

Simon Rainey wrote:

> I think everyone realises that Squid's achilles heal is the fact that it
> relies on the undelying OS to manage disk files. While the tests I've done
> are admittedly not very scientific, they do suggest that effort spent on
> the rumoured Squid-FS (or similar) would be worthwhile.

The fact that the filesystem is a very limiting factor for Squid has
been known for long. However, performance has not been a high priority
for the development.

There is currently a lot of changes in Squid to be able to support
Squid-FS implementations. What is being done is a generic interface to
allow people to write and try out Squid-FS implementations without
rewriting the whole store manager in Squid. Part of this is completed to
isolate the current "UFS based" store structure from the resto of Squid,
but much work remains until the interface is capable of supporting the
interesting Squid-FS designs in an efficient manner. Keep your eyes
open, but don't hold your breath waiting for a Squid-FS implementation
to appear ;-)

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker