RE: Squid / Transparent cache killing Cisco cpu

From: Mike Batchelor <mbatchelor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:09:10 -0700

The latest ACE2 code is 5.2. We're using 5.1.24, but will be upgrading soon.
The ACEdirector switches are terrific devices, and I recommend them to anyone
trying to do transparent proxy redirection, load balancing, any of this
so-called layer4 traffic manipulation. They do it very well, and they do it
at wire speed.

Noteworthy: 5.2.x eliminates the the client/server port distinctions, so you
can load balance requests coming in on any physical port. It also allows for
a simple toggle (/cfg/slb/direc e) to allow direct access to the real servers.
Very handy when you need to manage the real servers from a client IP address.
You can still apply security filters to restrict access to the real servers.
Previously, you simply could not reach the real servers on a load-balanced
port unless you were coming from the configured management network.

Also noteworthy: 5.1.x adds an "ack ena" flag for security filters, which
functions the same way as the Cisco "established" filter flag. They also
fixed a console hang bug, and allow configuration scripts to be saved or
retrieved via tftp. No more cut&paste. :)

You should really upgrade! I put a lot of work into getting them to add these
features! ;)
Seriously though - Alteon is an exceptional company, and they treat us right,
and they are serious about making their products as flexible and robust as
possible. They listen to their customers, and are very quick at turning
suggestions into useable features.