Re: Performance question

From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:38:14 +0200

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 11:25:22AM +0000, Jon Kay wrote:
> Normally, programs don't worry much about putting files in
> subdirectories, but
> most programs work in an environment where they are helped by a cache of
> inodes.
> Such caches typically hold tens of inodes - obviously, rapidly swamped.
> Note
> that you would need an inode cache of size 10,000 to work with Squid.
> That is
> by no means infeasible, but since smaller inode caches have sufficed up
> 'til now,
> most operating systems do not have such a thing. Since bigger caches
> would help
> with browsers, too, there is an incentive for OS vendors to add such
> features,
> just as they have added features to support tens of thousands of TCP
> connections
> for web service.
Just FYI (Y for all): (All?) *BSDs have this "feature"
(don't know for Linux), I use sysctl -w kern.maxvnodes=8000 on NetBSD during
boot. This should be more than enough to hold at least the inodes of all
directories in my cache_dirs; default was 778.

If other OSes doesn't support to change the size at runtime, it's
probably possible to change the value at kernel compilation time.

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.