Re: ACL Password authorisation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:50:11 +0000

Hogben, Ian wrote:

> I am trying very hard to set up acl password authentication for my squid
> 1.1.22-2 system running on RH5.2. I am happy enough to upgrade to the
> 2.2.stable3 release or whatever, if there is an advantage involved. But I'm
> not sure if there is.

Well, 1.1.22 has some kind of proxy authentication, but it is very
inflexible and is known to behave badly. And Squid 1.X is no longer
supported or maintained.

proxy authentication is fully supported in all Squid 2 releases, and
very flexible in 2.2 and later.

> I have found an excellent doc at
> http://www.iaehv.nl/users/devet/squid/proxy_auth/ that basically tells me
> everything I need to know about setting up acl proxy authentication. But it
> seems that you have to run the patch program before installing squid. Is
> this true? When trying to run the patch on 2.2.stable3, I get *heaps* of
> errors.

You don't need to patch Squid 2.X. The patch you are referring to is
probably the first incarnation of the code currently present in Squid
2.X, presented as a patch to Squid 1.1.X.

> Is there anyone out there who has experience with this stuff that I can
> maybe ask the odd intelligent question mixed in with heaps of dumb ones? :)
> I'm kinda out of my depth here, but desperate to get it set up. Thanks!!!

Go with Squid 2.X. You almost can't fail if you know how to create a
password file and how to type make.

See also the Squid FAQ. It contains some information on the subject
(probably outdated, so doublecheck with a resent squid.conf file, or ask
on squid-users if you have any doubts).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker