Re: FAQ material I think (was: Performance question)

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:33:19 -1000 (HST)

Jason Haar writes:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 01:13:53PM -0700, Mike Batchelor wrote:
> > On Solaris, the kernel variable for the directory name lookup cache size is
> > 'ncsize'. In /etc/system, you might want to try 'set ncsize = 8192' or even
> > higher. The kernel variable 'ufs_inode' - which is the size of the inode
>
> [Other good stuff about Solaris and *BSD tweaks deleted]
>
> I think this stuff should be documented in the FAQ - it's really useful for
> big sites...

Hear hear. A performance recommendations section would be great. I'd
also like to see it documented there that the noatime mount option is
safe to use on systems which support it; I wasn't sure at first whether
I could turn it on or if Squid looked at file creation times, though
since others use it (e.g. the benchmark stats) I assume it's safe.

FYI, BSD/OS 4.0 supports the soft-updates file system option previously
mentioned. I haven't tried to do any benchmarks yet, though, so I
can't say how much effect it has.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.