Re: Squid & REMOTE_ADDR

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:57:41 +0200

Dave J Woolley wrote:
> This won't work, as squid is application level and the outbound
> connection will have squid's address. Normally one just bypasses
> the proxy in the browser for such services, but otherwise one needs
> to hack the router code; I've never heard of this being done, but
> maybe it has.

Truse me, it has been done at several locations. In fact it is very
similar to "transparent proxying", only that the translation is in the
other direction. Same (or more) cautions apply as in "transparent
proxying".

My recommended action is to change the scripts to require authentication
instead of IP based access control (or whatever the IP is used for).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker