Re: some linux tuning

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 15:14:57 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> >[signal@constellation signal]$ ps aux|grep dns
>
> >hmm, I wonder why it doesn't load balance over the children?
>
> Because that would kill cache-locality. Load balancing is not
> a good idea in this case.

It does load balance over the children. In this case, "load" is the
number of _concurrent_ requests, not the total number of requests. For
example, if a cache gets one uncached FQDN every 10 seconds and it takes
9 seconds to resolve, only one dnsserver will be used.

The load balancing algorithm is to use the first idle dnsserver child.
The ideal number of dnsservers is when exactly one of them gets
virtually no requests.

Alex.