Re: proxy port number

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 22:42:17 +0200

Pete Kuczynski wrote:

> Could someone please tell me if the port number in Netscape Proxy
> settings and in squid.conf;
> is an arbitrary number, so long as it corresponts to the same port
> nuumber in the proxy [http] server, or, is it a specific number that
> must be used.

You can use any available port on the host where the proxy software
runs. It is not restricted to specific port number(s).

Squid default configuration uses port 3128. Many people use 80, 8080,
8000 or other similar port numbers. Which port you use is part of your
local network policy.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker