Re: delay pool not working right?

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:11:46 +0800

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Squid 2.2.STABLE3(with latest official patches) on Sun
> Enterprise 250(Solaris 2.6, 256MB mem), trying to limit outgoing
> bandwidth within 256kbps using squid's delay_pools option.
>
> part of squid.conf is:
>
> delay_pools 1
> delay_class 1 1
> delay_access 1 allow all
> delay_parameters 1 32000/32000
> delay_initial_bucket_level 50
>
> But, it seems more than 256kbps of outgoing bandwidth is used, up to
> 300-700kbps, out of about 750kbps capacity. I measured it on my edge
> router with 'show interface serial 0' command(yes, it's cisco one).
>
> Is my configuration wrong?

No. However you might want to reduce the figures and see if it helps.
You are limiting to 256000 bps of encapsulated TCP traffic for HTTP.
It doesn't limit ICP, or DNS traffic, or TCP overheads (packet overheads,
allowance for fragmentation, etc). You can see amazing amounts of overheads,
and these increase a bit as you slow things down.

> Well, I looked for a documentation about delay_pools on Squid 2.2, but I
> couldn't find one. One on Squid FAQ showed it's obsolete for 2.2. If
> someone would know where it is written, please let me know.

The squid.conf comments are the current authoritative source, as well as
any comments I've made on the squid mailing list in the past :-)

David.