Re: some linux tuning (fs benchmarks)

From: Doug Renner <dmr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:33:04 -0600 (MDT)

FS speed, specifically I/O bandwidth, is uberimportant to caches.

Unless we already have a standard benchmark, I propose that we create
one. I would like to see published results in some standard, moderately
trustable, format. Maybe there is already a project that has FS specific
benchmarks. I would like to see them with these different hardware
combinations.

For simple paradigms, I just use bonnie
(ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/benchmark/bonnie.tar.gz) and
execute it in a little loop. This just runs the FS for 1MB, 50MB, and
100MB objects:

 for x in 1 1 1 50 50 50 100 100 100
  do
   ./bonnie -s ${x} | grep [0-9] >> /tmp/bonnie.out
  done

I imagine that for our purposes, it'd be intelligent to use smaller
writes.

Comments?