Re: Proxy only for Netscape

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:22:40 +0800

> 1) I have configured my local proxy server using SQUID to deny access to
> anything or everything.
>
> 2) I can very simply go to each users PC and set Netscape up to use proxy
> server. Therefore that PC is controlled via the proxy server. So far so good.
>
> 3) However, if a smart user changes the netscape config such that he will
> bypass the proxy server and use the direct connection, he now have full access
> to the Internet again.
>
> How do I fix this such that the user will not able to change the config on the
> Netscape? Otherwise the use of the proxy would be pointless if the user can
> change components on his PC.

Blocking it on the PC is pointless. They can always install another web
browser, etc. Unless you install a completely secured workstation (eg,
Linux, noexec on all writable areas, etc), there's just no point.

What you should do is block it at the router.

eg,
  int eth 0
    ip access-group 123 in
  !
  access-list 123 deny tcp any any eq 80
  access-list 123 permit ip any any

or something like that (assuming Cisco router).

David.