Re: acl control before dns lookup

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:15:17 +0200

Gestore Mailing List wrote:

> Hi all,
> in my squid.conf i setupped some acl to prevent sex sites, download
> and other good thigs like stop of some banner sites.Everything works well
> but i see that the acl is readed after a dns lookup of the host.In poor word
> if i have www.playboy.com in the list of denied sites and someone write it
> on the browser, the link goes up for a request to the dns and then squid
> show the denied messages.IS it possible to make it reverse?? i means is it
> possible to tell squid to see if the request is allowed and if yes then go
> on to find the site???

Squid will call for DNS if you use a acl match which requires DNS data,
for example dst type ACLs (matches the destination IP). dstdomain does
not call for DNS (unless URL contains an IP address and not a host name,
where a reverse lookup is done to find a matching domain).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker