Re: Web filtering

From: Simon Rainey <srainey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 08:07:38 +0100

Hi,

I-Gear from URLabs (http://www.urlabs.com/public/) will do exactly what you
want, but it's quite expensive. We looked at it as an ISP but they wanted
silly money for the number of concurrent sessions we have. In a campus
environment it might be more affordable.

Squid has no API that will give you access to the data stream so it's not
possible to write a content filter without hacking the code. I get the
impression that the developers are focussed on the caching performance and
there are no plans to implement such an API.

I believe that the Peregrine team are looking at content filtering
(http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~cao/peregrine.html). My understanding is that
either Peregrine will do the filtering based on a list of words and phrases
you supply, or else the content will be presented in a buffer for third
party filters to use.

Regards,
Simon.

>I'm looking for some software that can filter web sites based on their
>content, not just on their URL. I've been looking at squirm and
>squidGuard. I like squidGuard's ACL support, and I like the ability to
>filter sites based on domain name, URL, or a regex, but it only looks at
>the URL, and not the actual content of the document(s). Is there any
>software that WILL look at the contents of a document and decide whether
>the document should be filtered out or not, either by using a regular
>expression, or by reaching a maximum count for "tabooed" words? Whether
>it's a squid redirector or a stand-alone proxy server really makes no
>difference to me. I should be able to make either work in my setup.
>
>I've seen a package called ActiveGuardian that looks like it would do what
>I want (it's not a squid redirector, however), but it doesn't compile yet,
>and the author(s) have somewhat abandoned the project, it seems. :-(

Simon Rainey e-mail : srainey@rmplc.net
Principal Internet Consultant tel : +44 1235 823238
RM Internet for Learning fax : +44 1235 823424
New Mill House, 183 Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 4SE, England