Re: Most stable non-mem-leaking squid?

From: Vesselin Atanasov <vesselin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:37:29 +0000 (UTC)

Hello.
I had a problem with squid - when running for 2-3 days it got very slow. I
thought the reason was some memory leak - squid used to grow with 1-2 MB
for 20-25 hours. Upgrading from linux kernel 2.2.6 to 2.2.10 solved the
problem. The mem leak is still present though, but I prefer to wait for
stable 4, instead of patching with the memleak fixes.

vesselin atanasov

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 jlewis@lewis.org wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > Brian wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone care to shed light on what the most stable version of squid is that
> > > does NOT have memory leaks?
> >
> > 2.2.STABLE3 with all the official mem leak patches posted by NLANR and a
> > couple of assertion failures and segfault patches from my Squid page I
> > presume. Duane has done a very good job at finding the memory leaks
> > present in 2.2.STABLE3.
>
> I'm using the 2 leak patches posted at the nlanr site a weekend or two
> ago, plus SRB's leak patch, and 2.2.S3 still can't run more than a day or
> two. I have a client running squid-1.1.22. His squid process has been
> running since mid April with no visible memory leaks. His is a _much_
> smaller, lighter used cache doing transparent caching, but no ICP. I'm
> probably going to just downgrade next week and see if squid-1.1.22 is as
> stable under heavy load.
>
> Squid Object Cache: Version 2.2.STABLE3
>
> Start Time:
> Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:23:06 GMT
> Current Time:
> Sat, 03 Jul 1999 17:31:14 GMT
>

> Connection information for squid:
> Number of clients accessing cache: 284
> Number of HTTP requests received: 2170861
> Number of ICP messages received: 3167251
> Number of ICP messages sent: 3168441
> Number of queued ICP replies: 0
> Request failure ratio: 0.00%
> HTTP requests per minute: 948.7
> ICP messages per minute: 2768.9
> Select loop called: 25154051 times, 5.458 ms avg
> Cache information for squid:
> Request Hit Ratios: 5min: 17.7%, 60min: 21.4%
> Byte Hit Ratios: 5min: 8.8%, 60min: 11.9%
> Storage Swap size: 9469049 KB
> Storage Mem size: 16452 KB
> Storage LRU Expiration Age: 1.11 days
> Mean Object Size: 9.26 KB
> Requests given to unlinkd: 1281020
> Median Service Times (seconds) 5 min 60 min:
> HTTP Requests (All): 0.15048 0.19742
> Cache Misses: 0.16775 0.24524
> Cache Hits: 0.05331 0.05331
> Near Hits: 0.24524 0.24524
> Not-Modified Replies: 0.03829 0.03427
> DNS Lookups: 0.01464 0.02336
> ICP Queries: 0.00000 0.00000
> Resource usage for squid:
> UP Time: 137288.294 seconds
> CPU Time: 33837.120 seconds
> CPU Usage: 24.65%
> CPU Usage, 5 minute avg: 37.71%
> CPU Usage, 60 minute avg: 33.17%
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 829484
> Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
> Total space in arena: 178769 KB
> Ordinary blocks: 172956 KB 241265 blks
> Small blocks: 0 KB 0 blks
> Holding blocks: 368 KB 2 blks
> Free Small blocks: 0 KB
> Free Ordinary blocks: 5812 KB
> Total in use: 173324 KB 97%
> Total free: 5812 KB 3%
> Memory accounted for:
> Total accounted: 94358 KB
> File descriptor usage for squid:
> Maximum number of file descriptors: 1024
> Largest file desc currently in use: 230
> [...]

We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.