Re: FTP proxy icons

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:29:49 +0200

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Ken Thomson wrote:

]When squid renders a FTP directory it includes a lot of nice graphical
]icons. These usually come from /[somewhere]/squid/etc/icons .
]Unfortunately none of my browser clients can see these icons.. the rendered
]pages have links such as http://[my machine]:[proxy
]port]/squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-unknown.gif. Do I need a httpd
]running for this to work? Or should squid itself be able to find them? My
]icon_directory is set correctly in the squid.conf and all the icons are
]publicly readable.

Don't worry, any squid-2 along the request path will return
/squid-internal-static/ objects - even if it is not the host mentioned in
the URL. To avoid some other trouble I ran into, and if you are not
bothered too much about security, you might want to give broad access just
to the squid-internal-static stuff with an appropriate urlpath_regex ACL,
e.g.

        acl icons urlpath_regex ^/squid-internal-static/icons/
        # just below the "INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE ..."
        http_access allow icons <all_your_clients_e_g_AS_based>
        [ ... more ACL stuff ...]

Also, use the "client" program which comes with Squid to check the headers
and the reason for the error, e.g.:

  $ client -h <proxyhost> -p <proxyport> \
    http://<proxyhost>:<proxyport>/squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-dir.gif

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726