Re: Patch-3 relative to 2.2.S3, the Phantom Menace

From: Stephen R. van den Berg <srb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:44:40 +0200

>>>Don't set memory_pools_limit in squid.conf.

>>memory_pools are set to off.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. You have to turn on memory
pools, but not specify a memory_pools_limit.

Due to the special memory allocation handling (which, in the end, conserves
memory), the patch requires memory pools to be turned on without
limits.

Why not modify the patch such that it gracefully handles the no-memory-pools
option, you might ask? Well, because the notion here is that if the patch
gets adopted, one would probably completely throw out the code that made
memory pools optional.

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).