Re: multi ethernet cards for a squid cache

From: <jlewis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:25:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Rob Harris wrote:

> Has anyone figured out how to make squid use more than one ethernet card
> to retrieve objects into it's cache?

This isn't a squid issue. It's a matter of convincing your system to use
both ethernet cards. Squid doesn't have anything to do with how packets
get routed.

> I have a unix box (linux rh6) running squid (latest) with a multiport
> ethernet card (10mb) behind a switch and a router tied to a T3. I would
> like squid to round robin/load balance the traffic amongst the 4 ports on
> the multiethernet card if possible as I have an obscene amount of traffic
> that I pass through this box.
>
> Any thoughts would be most helpful.

A 100mbit fast ethernet card running full duplex into a switch is a much
better/simpler/cheaper/faster (pick all four) solution. Surely if the
router has a T3, it has a better than >10mbit connection to your network.

This is kind of scarey coming from skycache.

----don't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*| Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator | nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net | to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________