Re: Java Applets not working

From: Simon Woods <Simon.Woods@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:30:36 +0200

> Forgive me for asking a question which is not _strictly_ Squid
related.

> My architecture is set up in such a way that not only do my client
> browsers not have direct access to the Internet (there's a firewall in
the
> way) they also can't resolve Internet host names. Hence they rely
utterly
> on Squid to do all the hard work for them.

> Now - when they try to run pages with Java applets on them, the usual
> result is a grey box and the error "applet <name> can't start:
security
> violation: could not resolve IP for host www.domain.com. See the
> trustProxy property".

> I've tried browsing on a box which _does_ have access to an Internet
> facing DNS, and the error still occurs.

> Has anyone seen this before? Is there a fix?

> Many thanks
> Richard Stagg

> ---------------------------------
> Richard Stagg
> Internet Architect
> squid@bae.co.uk

We have had similar problems accessing homebanking servers running SSL
via our WindowsNT machines. Although it was possible to do an nslookup
on the homebanking server the java applet refused to run untill I added
the hostname explicitly to the hosts file (or was it the lmhosts
file???).

I don't think that we had problems with our Unix machines.

Not exactly very elegant but it worked.

Simon.