Re: upgrading to v2

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 00:55:31 +1000

Phillip Morgan wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> After much soul searching (and begging with my bank manager), I'm going
> to upgrade to the latest Squid. I've configured my squid2 conf file
> similar to my squid1 conf file, and would like a little feedback on how
> it "looks" (like- am I off the planet, or close, what could I tweak
> etc)...
>
> I have a PentiumII 366mhz Celeron (or will have by the weekend), with
> 192mb of RAM, an 8gig drive for a cache mounted under /var/spool/cache,
> running Slackware Linux 3.3 (Kernel 2.0.36).
>
> Here's the lines that have been uncommented/implemented in the conf
> file...
>
> http_port 8080
> icp_port 3130
> cache_mem 24 MB

Without looking in too much detail, I'd reduce cache_mem to 8 MB (the
default). Linux is going to buffer all your ext2 data anyway. There's
not much profit in doing it twice. I've also found some anecdotal
evidence that varying up or down from the default is deletorious to
performance in such circumstances. I don't have sufficient quality data
to back that, though.