Re: Harddisk Configuration

From: Scott Hess <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:16:25 -0700

I'd go with having Squid handle the disks, for a number of reasons.

With striping, if one disk goes down, you have to rebuild them _all_. With
Squid handling it, you just take the system down, pull the disk, and bring
it back up. Better yet, if you catch the disk before it's useless, you can
ask Squid to stop using that drive before it takes the system down.
[Admittedly, if I know there's a SCSI device going bad in my system, I don't
want it living on the same bus as working devices.]

If Squid handles things then you always know that complete objects will end
up on a single disk. With striping, you might end up having to hit multiple
disks for many objects. If you stripe, you probably want to use fairly
large stripes - 8k would leave too many objects on multiple disks, 64k would
probably be better.

Related to the first point, it's easier to add a new disk if Squid handles
the balancing, with a striped array you have to rebuild.

Later,
scott