Re: I need to put a WebSense proxy as a parent of a squid proxy, possible?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:38:37 +0200

Steve Loughran wrote:

> I think you need to set prefer_direct (on|off) as well. The default is that
> it will prefer to go direct.

The correct option for forcing Squid to use parents is never_direct.

prefer_direct is a somewhat confusing option. It does what squid.conf
says it does; tells Squid to try to use parents even if ICP failed to
find a alive parent (for example when ICP isn't used at all), and there
was no sibling (or digest) hits. It does not force Squid to use a parent
and it will still bypass the parent on certain requests or conditions.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker