Re: Using Squid with a Satellite downlink

From: Chris Teakle <ccteakle@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:01:55 +1000

>Hi all,
>
>We are just about to get our Satellite downlink up and running but we are
>still waiting on our AS number for the BGP routing so... our Satellite
>provider says they can provide us with a subnet of theirs that we can use
>for our Proxy server. They said we can give our Squid machine an IP alias
>and get squid to use this IP for it's requests so that incoming data will
>come via the satellite.
>
>Is there any gotcha's with this sort of setup?
>
>Also would it be possible to get Squid to request data from certain
>IP's(say Australian/Local data) with it's current IP so it comes via our
>current link and other IP's (Everywhere except Aus) to be requested via the
>Satellite IP?
>
>I guess in the end I'm asking,
>- Can I run Squid with 2 IP's (pretty sure this is yes)
>- Can I get Squid to send requests to a range of IP's using the first IP
>and the rest via the second IP
>
>Thanks
>
>Ray

If you add an additional IP address on your server (generally using
"ifconfig alias") then by default squid will listen on both IP
addresses and use the primary IP address for initiated outgoing
connections. You can restrict which one it listens on by setting
tcp_incoming_address and you can over-ride what it uses for outgoing
connections by setting tcp_outgoing_address.

Unfortunately, as far as I know it is not currently possible to
set tcp_outgoing_address in a dynamic manner, e.g. based on ACLs.
(This would be a really neat feature.) I think the best you can do is
to change tcp_outgoing_address in squid.conf and do a reconfigure.
I.e. at any given time all new outgoing connections will use the same
IP address.

--
Chris Teakle
Network Development, ITS