Re: Question...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:48:12 +0200

Jim Geurts wrote:

> Is there a way to only use Squid to cache only port 80 requests. So that
> in a sense, it doesn't act as a proxy. What I would like to do is:
> Say there is a user request, from say a modem, something directs it based
> on the request port. If it is port 80, then the "something" directs it to
> the cache server. Otherwise go out to internet through the router, etc..

If I understand your question you are asking for transparent redirection
of port 80 client traffic to a web cache server. This is possible but be
sure you know what you are doing if are into attemting this. Falls into
the field of woodo magic with network equipment and violation of basic
TCP/IP specifications. See the Squid FAQ on transparent caching for some
basic (and unfortunately somewhat inconsistent) information on it can be
set up.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker