Re: Can I *not* have an on-disk cache?

From: Steve Willer <willer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:30:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Scott Hess wrote:

> It would probably be worth trying a different OS. We're using FreeBSD3.1
> and 3.2, and it seems to work well. I like Linux, also, but have never
> tried to see how far Squid would go on Linux.

Squid is running on the firewall, and as such we have a very conservative
attitude towards any upgrades on that machine. The knowledge in-house (and
my own knowledge) is Linux- (and Solaris-) based, so I would definitely
upgrade to a 2.2 kernel before moving to a BSD variant. Besides, from what
I hear, most if not all of the network performance difference between
Linux and FreeBSD was removed when 2.2 was released.

> Eh, probably not worth that much, given the types of error situations you
> could get into - besides, you generally don't expect to shutdown, much less
> in a controlled fashion!

Plus, in my case, I'm talking about 10-20MB of images, sent over a 100bT
link. I have the init.d script deleting the cache metadata logfile
already, to minimize start times as much as possible for those times when
I need to restart squid.

> A similar alternative to the ramdisk would be to fully enable soft updates
> on the Squid cache partition, and then do squid -z on every startup (or,
> potentially, only on those startups without a sane shutdown involved). That
> would hopefully minimize the amount of time spent waiting for seeks due to
> write ordering.

What do you mean by "soft updates"? Other than that, it sounds like what
I'm doing. 'squid -z' doesn't work for me (strange permission problems),
so rather than fool too much with that machine, I just kill the logfile.
If the cache grows due to orphan files, I'll just set up some kind of
purge script myself.

I suppose another option for me would be to mount 'noatime' on that mount.
That might help a bit.