Re: Can I *not* have an on-disk cache?

From: Scott Hess <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:40:38 -0700

Steve Willer <willer@interlog.com>
> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Scott Hess wrote:
> > A similar alternative to the ramdisk would be to fully enable soft
updates
> > on the Squid cache partition, and then do squid -z on every startup (or,
> > potentially, only on those startups without a sane shutdown involved).
That
> > would hopefully minimize the amount of time spent waiting for seeks due
> > write ordering.
>
> What do you mean by "soft updates"? Other than that, it sounds like what
> I'm doing. 'squid -z' doesn't work for me (strange permission problems),
> so rather than fool too much with that machine, I just kill the logfile.
> If the cache grows due to orphan files, I'll just set up some kind of
> purge script myself.
>
> I suppose another option for me would be to mount 'noatime' on that mount.
> That might help a bit.

"Soft updates" meaning that the OS is free to sort write requests into their
most efficient order, as opposed to the order that guarantees filesystem
consistency. Not sure how it's specified under Linux (actually, I thought
Linux defaulted to soft updates. "async" mount option, now that I look at a
man page).

noatime can't hurt, of course...

Later,
scott