Re: Can I *not* have an on-disk cache?

From: Scott Hess <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:59:15 -0700

Fathi Ben Nasr <fathi.engineer@gnet.tn> wrote:
>Steve Willer a écrit :
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Fathi Ben Nasr wrote:
>>
>> > hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
>> > Just add to this, in squid.conf, what you are using to generate
dynamic html
>> > content. This can be php asp msql or whatever you are using and squid
will not
>> > cache it.
>>
>> I know this. What I was looking for was a way to say "go ahead and cache
>> stuff like .gif files, but don't put *anything* on disk."
>
># TAG: cache_swap (megabytes)
<snip>
>Is probably the solution.
>Set it up as low as it is possible.

_NOT_ a good idea! This will make the problem worse, because Squid will be
cleaning up the cache more often! The best way to minimize filesystem
overhead is to make the cache much larger than the amount of cachable data,
so that it very seldom has to spend time cleaning things up (and you can
potentially schedule cleanups to happen during troughs).

Later,
scott