Re: Can I *not* have an on-disk cache?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:06:06 +0200

Clifton Royston wrote:

> I would then argue that a single Squid web cache which effectively uses
> two-tier caching from large RAM amounts to disk is a degenerate case of
> the above, and if the aging/purging algorithms for RAM use are properly
> implemented, it should perform faster than this scenario, because it
> has less communications and other general overhead.
>
> Am I missing something?

No, you make perfectly sense. Only thing is that Squid isn't really a
two level cache system which memory and disk caches. It has both memory
and disk caches but it is not used like that. As I have said before the
mem_cache isn't a behaving like one would expect from a cache. Lots of
room for improvement there if anyone has the need and will to.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker