Re: Authorization by acl

From: Glen Newton <gnewton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:11:57 -0400 (EDT)

i would prefer that the 'authentication' method be extended to allow
for access control. i may not entirely understand this, but i would
like to have something like the following sent to the external
authenticator:

then the external authenticator can manage the access control as well,
better than squid (i.e. for large numbers). We are looking at have the
userid, password and the access control information in an LDAP. This i
why i have been working on the LDAP side of things.

We are also looking at using the redirector for this, and instead of
just having one URL per line, having the above. The redirector would
check whether the user had access to a particular resource.

i'm not sure if either of these methods (doing a lookup on an LDAP)
would slow down things too much. The authenticator could always cache
some of this information...

-glen

--
/glen newton