hotmail and zero reply length

From: Chris Dent <cdent@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:36:48 -0500 (EST)

I'm a newbie so I feel like this must have been covered before,
but I checked the list archives and didn't find anything
conclusive. Thanks for any help on this that you can provide.

I'm using a transparent proxy squid with a serveriron on a
terminal server segment and experiencing problems with hotmail
that I'm having trouble figuring out.

Users, when using hotmail to reply to messages, sometimes get
ERR_ZERO_SIZED_OBJECT and I can't seem to work around it.

Based on some sniffing around it literally is that hotmail is not
returning any data at all.

A machine that doesn't go through the cache, doing the same thing
on hotmail, at the same time (within seconds, but not _exactly_
at the same time), experiences no difficulties.

I already have hotmail.com and hotmail.msn.com in a no_cache
list, but it is apparently not caching that is causing the
problem, but the proxying. Making the SI not force redirection on
the various hotmail sites could prove difficult...

Any suggestions on things I can diddle to deal with this?

this is squid2.2.STABLE4 with the squid-2.2.stable4.webdav_support.patch
on redhat 5.2, linux 2.2.9

The no comments no whitespace version of my config is below. The
request_size is set that large because I had thought perhaps the
initial reports of problems with POSTs were the size limit.
Further access and redirection controls are done in the ipchains
setup on the box. (I suspect my http_access controls are
buggered, if they are please let me know, thanks).

http_port 80 3128
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \? cfm
no_cache deny QUERY
acl behave_badly url_regex "/usr/local/lib/squid/no_cache"
no_cache deny behave_badly
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
http_access allow all
cache_mem 128 MB
cache_dir /var/spool/cache 3000 16 256
debug_options ALL,1
request_size 5000 KB
pconn_timeout 300 seconds
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 80 21 443 563 70 210 1025-65535
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all
icp_access allow all
miss_access allow all
cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group squid
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
logfile_rotate 0
icon_directory /usr/lib/squid/icons
error_directory /etc/squid/errors
uri_whitespace allow

--
Chris Dent.Coppertop                     Patriarchies create children.
.....Kiva Networking