Re: FTP proxy icons

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:20:13 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Dancer wrote:

> Henrick Nordstrom wrote:
> > You can get around this with the use of a redirector, and publish a
> > official URL which does not begin with /squid-internal-static.
>
> I made a couple tiny tweaks to squid to add a new internal-static path
> to squid (with a name unique to our systems), and to store the files
> from mime.conf under the old key (/squid-internal-static/icons/*) and
> the new one as well. Turned out to be a very simple thing to do, and
> prevents namespace clashes with downstream proxies.

I was at first thinking that Squid should only do the host/port switcheroo if
the requested icon is already in the memory cache (ie., there's a local
copy){*}; but of course, there's no guarantee that one person's "unknown.gif"
is anything like another person's "unknown.gif" (maybe one is supposed to be a
background or something, not an unknown file type in FTP listings).

{*} 2.2.STABLE4, src/client_side.c, line 2,269.

Dancer, it'd be nice if something like this could be incorporated into
mainline Squid; my only concern is again a clash in file names - say you have
a local-only icon called "logo.gif", as does someone else. By storing all
files under the old (/squid-internal/static/icons) key, you risk replacing
their logo with yours (which may or may not be such a good thing, depending on
the page, political climate, etc.). This would happen because their proxy may
output a page containing their logo.gif as a "/squid-internal/static" icon
request, which of course your proxy would dutifully switch to point to your
logo.gif. Then there's what happens if a page contains a reference to a
different icon name for the FTP listing, but your proxy doesn't have an
equivalently named GIF file.. hmm..

Should Squid be replacing this icons automatically at all? Seems it locks
everyone into using the exact same file names, no more, no less, and more or
less exactly the same icons... ??

Just thinking aloud...

dave