Re: FTP proxy icons

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:51:33 +1000 (EST)

[ Squid 2.2.STABLE4, Jesred (redirector) 1.2pl1 ]

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> You can get around this with the use of a redirector, and publish a
> official URL which does not begin with /squid-internal-static.

Dumb question - how? That is, exactly what URL is passed to the redirector?
(If, in fact, ANYTHING is passed to the redirector...)

I put an icon in a subdirectory of the regular icons subdirectory, and was
able to access it with the following URL (using Netscape):

 http://unique-hostname.domain:3128/squid-internal-static/icons/dir/image.gif

In Squid's access log, this is recorded as:

 http://visible-hostname.domain:3128/squid-internal-static/icons/dir/image.gif

"Okay," says I, "now let's try with a redirected official URL."

 http://unique-hostname.domain:3128/internal-icons/image.gif

Squid returns the "Invalid URL" error and logs this in the access file as:

 /internal-icons/image.gif

Whoa! Interesting... If I plug any of these URLs into the redirector:

 http://unique-hostname.domain:3128/internal-icons/image.gif
 http://visible-hostname.domain:3128/internal-icons/image.gif
 /internal-icons/image.gif

it doesn't log anything (ie., it's not passed a request for any of these
URLs). Manually testing the input/output of the redirector returns the
correct/expected results.

Clearly there's some extra magic in the "/squid-internal-static/icons"
prefix that otherwise breaks if you try and change the URL... :-(

Also, if you misspell the working URL, instead of a "file not found" style
error (currently not present in Squid, it seems) the ERR_INVALID_REQ page is
returned. Wouldn't it make more sense to say "file not found" (or similar)?

Thanks..

dave