Re: FTP proxy icons

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:51:57 +1000

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> David J N Begley wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Dancer wrote:
> >
> > > You _can_ list objects of your own in your squid's mime.conf file (and
> > > copy them into the icons directory), but they still have to be
> > > referenced with a url that looks like
> > > http://something/squid-internal-static/your-file.name
> >
> > What happens when one of these "squid-internal-static" icon URLs (ie., the
> > error page ones not the FTP page ones) from proxyA hits either proxyB or
> > proxyC - will proxyB and proxyC still try to rewrite the URL to point to
> > themselves (resulting in a broken image, file not found) or will they leave
> > the URL alone, resulting (ultimately) in a request to the original proxy
> > (proxyA) to get the icons?
>
> You can get around this with the use of a redirector, and publish a
> official URL which does not begin with /squid-internal-static.
>
> --
> Henrik Nordstrom
> Spare time Squid hacker

I made a couple tiny tweaks to squid to add a new internal-static path
to squid (with a name unique to our systems), and to store the files
from mime.conf under the old key (/squid-internal-static/icons/*) and
the new one as well. Turned out to be a very simple thing to do, and
prevents namespace clashes with downstream proxies.