Re: virus scanner for squid

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 08:07:11 -0400

Harald Groene wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to hook a virus scanner (mcaffee or h+bedv) into squid for ftp and
> http downloads. Could somebody tell me where to put this as a filter in the
> squid source. I think, I have to solve a client timeout problem as well.

I have been unable to think of a way to notify clients that a virus was detected
in a download. You could abort the transfer, but then they'd just think your
service is crummy. You could download the entire file before sending it to them,
but that might take an excessively long time.

As far as integrating the virus scanner, Squid has no filtering hooks that I
know of.
The best thing to do if you had to add them would be to grab the CVP spec and
implement the server hooks so Squid could contact say, a Symantec Antivirus
server or McAfee Antivirus Server (which both have CVP hooks), although I don't
particularly like CVP because of it relies on the antivirus software to download
the file, it still would give you the widest range of interpretability.

CVP is an open specification available on checkpoint or opsec's site.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com