Multiple (non ICP) parents

From: <darrin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:27:49 +1000 (EST)

Hi All,

I have a question regarding mutliple parent caches.

I am setting up a site that has two internet connections. A fast,
expensive one and a slow, cheap one.

I would like to have squid direct queries to the parent proxy on the
slow connection whenever possible, and switch to the expensive parent
proxy only when the cheap one is down.

I tried using multiple cache_peer lines but squid seems to use the first
one if available and go direct if it isn't. I have enabled
"prefer_direct off" in the config file.

Any clues? My proxy lines currently look like:

cache_peer proxy-cheap parent 8080 0 no-query no-digest default weight=40
cache_peer proxy-expensive parent 8080 0 no-query no-digest default weight=40

Would it be better for me write a script to detect that a parent is down
and reconfigure squid approriately?

Many thanks.

 - Darrin