Re: Squid and TCP congestion avoidance

From: Ken Ramirez <kenny208@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:51:00 -0400 (EDT)

Actually, the IETF is working on a different mechanism
for communication of congestion notification to end
systems - Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN), which
allocates 2 bits in the IP header for that purpose
(which are different from the TOS/diffserv bits,
although adjacent to it). There are a couple of
experimental implementations of ecn available.

Essentially, it lets the end system know that there is
congestion, and a backoff is required, but without
actually dropping a packet.

Not related to the question raised, I'd like to raise
another question - I guess this could be viewed like
a feature request (or even a request for discussion):

A number of providers and enterprises (including mine)
are looking at deploying differentiated services on
the network - initially starting with the IP precedence
bits, and migrating to Diffserv as it becomes mature.

While it is possible today to classify packets on
edge routers, as well as in certain stacks like linux
(in which the admin can set diffserv bits transparent
to the app), it would make more sense for the app to
set diffserv bits itself.

Specific to squid, I would love for the proxy to have
the ability to set IP precedence (eventually diffserv)
bits based on the URL or even the site being visited,
thus enabling better bandwidth management than what
is possible using squid today...

cheers.