Re: Web Mails

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:35:19 -1000 (HST)

Ubaldo Lescano writes:
> Hi All!
>
> Recently I have had problems with some users because they complain which
> when they enter to webmails like latinmail, it excites or Netscape
> instead of appearing its account, appears to them another one, can that
> exists some relation with squid, in my rules single I have this:
>
> refresh_pattern -i gif$ 43200 100% 43200 reload-into-ims
> override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i cgi 1440 100% 1440
> refresh_pattern -i hotmail.com 60 100% 240 reload-into-ims
> override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i latinmail.com 60 100% 240 reload-into-ims
> override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i mixmail.com 60 100% 240 reload-into-ims
> override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i . 1440 100% 43200
>
> As they will see, it does not appear Excite and Netscape
>
> The idea of these rules was not to keep anything from this type of sites
> since it is not necessary.

These rules do the opposite of what you want. That is why people
questioned them when you posted them before.

The refresh_pattern rules are allowing Squid to keep the data even
though it would normally be non-cacheable.

Instead, try using no_cache to get the result you want:

  acl LOSERS url_regex ^http://www\.hotmail\.com/$ ^http://hotmail\.com/$
  acl QUERY urlpath_regex \? cgi

  no_cache deny QUERY
  no_cache deny LOSERS

> My questions are.... somebody has had these errors before? it is
> possible that it is cause of squid?

It is exactly because of Squid, but it can be mostly avoided with the
correct rules in squid.conf.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.