Re: Problems with Auth Modules in STABLE4

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:13:29 +1000

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Dancer wrote:
>
> > Hmm. It's in my squid.conf file that way too, in the comments. I wonder
> > what version _that_ config file came from. Could be quite old now.
>
> Probably Squid 2.0 then if the comments for proxy_auth says it specifies
> the TTL and not which usernames the ACL matches.
>
> That is why I recommend cleaning squid.conf from documentation when you
> have made your configuration, and only have comments describing why you
> have configured Squid in a certain way.
>
> When you upgrade Squid only squid.conf.default gets upgraded to not
> overwrite your active configuration, so after one upgrade (in some cases
> even a patch release STABLEn -> STABLEn+1) your squid.conf is mostly
> useless for documentation and you should see squid.conf.default instead.
> Several people have been confused by this and mistakenly beleived that
> the comments in their old squid.conf is current for the version they are
> running.

Hard for us to do. I've just discovered why patching up versions didn't
fix this for us: Our package source-tree has multiple maintainers. One
of them has moved our default squid.conf from the 'usual' place, and
installs it into the package from another part of the tree...which is
not unreasonable. Our squid.conf starts life as a series of about 30
source-files that are merged through a C++ preprocessor before finally
ending up in the package.