Re: Porn Lists (Maybe Off Topic)

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:53:33 +1000

Olivier Tourchon wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Sorry if I am a little bit 'off topic' but I do not think it is such a good
> idea to block access to certain sites.
>
> Why ? Imagine http://www.somedomain.com/my_dir/index.html was a porn site
> yesterday. It is my web site and I (the Owner) do wanna change it to a
> Site About, for example, The influence of Snow on Salmons growing in Norway
> (Sure that does exist).
>
> Why will you block access to my site ?

Absolutely! We do not have the time or the resources to constantly
re-examine the sites that the customers ask us to block. Once they are
blocked, they stay that way. It's too expensive a proposition to do
otherwise.

> I Think it is an administrator's work to show users what can be useful on
> the Internet and what can be useless.

There are different grades of administrators. We (as service
administrators) provide a mechanism where the customer
site-administrators may block and unblock resources for their own site.
We neither know nor care if they block something useless or useful.

> The Internet is a Free Based Communication and Knowledge medium, I'm not
> sure it is such a good idea to let machines do human's work... unless you
> want Microsoft to block access to *.netscape.* and *.*ix.* in Internet
> explorer 6...

It's always ultimately under the control of a human. Humans decide what
to block. The machine merely does what it is told to do. In my
experience, blocks, once set are never removed, because the human who
blocked them no longer cares, and cannot justify the time to check.