Squid spawning 20 processes revisited

From: meridian <me@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 11:20:38 +1000 (EST)

Hi,
I was looking through the mail archive for an answer excpet couldnt seem
to find one. When I start squid I get 20 processes or so. I have memory
pools turned off, and cache mem size is only 6 meg. When I ps squid it
shows 20 processes each with 5.8meg. Someone said that this is simply
kernel threads to someone who asked a similar question and not to worry.
However it seems each thread is still taking up 6 megs because gmemstats
says squid is using over 100megs as does top.

i lower everything i could in the conf to try lower the mem useage cept
the 20threads x 6meg cache seems to add up about right

how can i decrease the number of processes or threads squid is spawning? i
cant find any information about this anywhere :)
thanks for any help

meridian
 me@tha.net