Web Pages

From: Joel Taqueban <jtaqueba@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:32:17 +0800

I have a problem which my boss is asking me to answer. It was a Sunday
(actually yesterday), and during Sundays, from 0300 hrs to 1800 hrs., this is
one of the days that I usually disallow my users to access the web. Problem is,
my boss was in the office 0930 hrs. and was able to access the web! Specific
site he was accessing was www.cnn.com

That made him furious since he was expecting he would be disallowed web access
(probably he was testing). I tried to simulate what happened, move my system
clock to that day and time (Sunday and 0930 hrs), restarted squid and tried to
access the web. I then tried to access cnn.com and my Netscape Navigator
readily returned an 'access denied' message!

I told my boss what had happened, that I was disallowed web access during that
Sunday. But still he wasn't convinced. He said, I must do more investigation,
like could it be that the cnn pages are already in his cache or on the proxy's
cache? I would like to know the ff:

   * I tried to see the contents of my boss' disk cache but all I saw were .jpg
     and .gif files. How can I tell if my boss is accessing his disk cache from
     these .jpg and .gif files?
   * If it is not from his disk cache, how would I know that the pages he
     fetched were from the proxy?
   * And a question I couldn't answer, how would I know the contents of the
     pages on my proxy such that I know cnn.com or other pages are there?
   * Or could it be that the proxy was already fetching pages from those popular
     websites before 0930 hrs. Sunday, and stored them on the proxy's cache?
     How would I know what time those pages were cached on the proxy? What were
     the pages cached before 0930 hrs.?
   * How do I tell squid to fetch pages from news pages automatically every 4
     hrs. for example so that the user is ensured he always gets a fresh copy?

Please help. I'm a newbie and honestly, I'm not good at this. I just wish
someone would be willing to help.

I'm eager to learn and would certainly appreciate someone's answers.

Joel