FYI: a "Forwarding loop detected" case

From: Panagiotis Christias <P.Christias@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 06:34:53 +0300 (EET DST)

Hello,

here is a case of DNS misconfiguration that causes forwarding loops to
squid (and subsequently access denial to clients):

        % host www.amityworld.com.
        www.amityworld.com has address 206.160.10.91
        www.amityworld.com has address 127.0.0.1
        www.amityworld.com has address 204.181.176.35

www.amityworld.com has a A record that points to 127.0.0.1 :(
which squid (I use version 2.2S3+henrik's patches) does not detect
it as an improper ip address and uses it along with the other two
addresses leading to forwarding loops.

Although, someone could argue saying that it's not squid's fault
rather than the remote site administrator, I would prefer squid to
handle such cases in a more clever way.

--
Panagiotis J. Christias        Network Management Center
P.Christias@noc.ntua.gr        National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE