RE: Squid proxy server and resolver file.

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:29:43 +0100

> From: David Travers [SMTP:david.travers@blairsofscotland.co.uk]
>
> I wish to use the proxy features of squid but when I enable the name
> resolver in /etc/resolv.conf, ISDN connections are created even though no
> one is try to make a connection to the net about every 4 mins.

        Sounds more like you have an NT box on the LAN. Although maybe it
        is a consequence of not running a caching nameserver (named) on the
        machine. It could also be the result of silly values in the
        ISP's DNS ttl fields.

> Is there anyway to stop this from happening, as I would really like to use
> the proxy server.
>
> Currently the Linux box has no references in the resolver file to our
> ISP's nameserver, but you need it for squid to resolve domain names.

        never direct it through the ISP's cache and put the address of that
        cache in the /etc/hosts file. Do not use IP address based dst
rules.