RE: page updates

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <M.C.Crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 06:22:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Dave J Woolley wrote:

DJW} > Does "shift reload" force squid to pull a new copy of the page from the
DJW} > remote server ?
DJW} >
DJW} Depends on the client. Netscape shift reload adds
DJW} HTTP headers which prevent the use of a cache. There are
DJW} at least three distinct cases that can be generated at the
DJW} HTTP level:
DJW}
DJW} - check with immediate parent that the page is current;
DJW}
DJW} - end to end check that it is current;
DJW}
DJW} - force end to end reload.
DJW}
DJW} I don't think Netscape gives access to all of these options,
DJW} and IE uses control reload for the second/third one (not sure
DJW} which, and have never seen it documented, so treat as
DJW} apocryphal).

Over the years, I had fallen into the habit of using "Control reload" to
do a forced refresh in Netscape. I just checked Netscape's Knowledge Base
and they only document "Shift reload".

The "Control reload" only works from the pop-up menu in the current window
or frame and appears to force Squid to refresh a stale page.

                             Merton Campbell Crockett
| Manager, Network Operations & Services | Senior Network/Security Engineer |
| GTE Government Systems Corporation | Naval Surface Warfare Center |
| Electronic Systems Division | Port Hueneme Division |
| Intelligence Systems Organization | IT/TIS Program |
| Thousand Oaks, CA | Port Hueneme, CA |