Re: Does squid get object from cache or not?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:45:12 -1000 (HST)

Madjid SalimZadeh writes:
> I don't want that objects in my cache don't expire (exept cgi) files.
> I want that gif, jpg, html, htm files save in my cache and never expire.
> How can I configure it this way?

Please consider this - if you successfully configure it this way:

 * Every news site like cnn.com will show only the news as of the day
   that page was first accessed from your Squid;

 * Directory sites like Yahoo will show only what was in their
   directory when those pages were first accessed from your Squid;

 * Current events/activities pages for your region will show only what
   was available when they were first accessed from your Squid;

 * Web sites which correct a graphic or change their look will continue
   to look the same from your Squid;
 etc.

There is an old programmer's adage: If you don't care whether a program
has the correct output, you can make it run as fast as you like!

In this case that would be: You can save an unlimited amount of
bandwidth with Squid - only if you don't care about getting usable
information off the Web! It would probably be better to accept a lower
hit rate, and accept spending more on bandwidth, but still have the web
be usable.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.